Pages

Sunday 16 December 2007

DASHING THROUGH THE SNOW, ER, RAIN

My Sydney visit has almost come to an end. It's been heaps of fun catching up with people and re-engaging with my former hometown. I'm staying with friends who live just down the road from my old flat in Annandale, so the area is familiar and comforting. Comfort is important when your entire world consists of one backpack and a load of things packed into boxes and suitcases and strewn all across the world. Speaking of which, I went out to my Sydney storage unit the other day and discovered that my treasured possessions are all just a load of crap. After all my experience moving around the world, you'd think my pre-travel brain would be a better of judge of what my post-travel brain is going to consider worthy of retention. But no, I could only access the front few boxes and they were all full of rubbish. Somewhat disappointing, really.

Something that was much less disappointing was my ninja-vist to Canberra (so-called because it was lightning fast, like a ninja). I was in the city for almost exactly 24 hours, but I rushed around and managed to catch up with loads of friends who I haven't seen for over a year as well as some I haven't seen for even longer. Unfortunately, doing my Speedy Gonzales impression meant I wasn't able to catch up with everybody I wanted to see. On the bright side though, now they have a good excuse to come over to London and visit me!

I had intended to stay in Canberra for three days, but it just wasn't working for me. Nothing to do with the people of course - it was fantastic to see everyone - but Canberra and I need a bit longer apart before we can resume our amicable relationship. I found it a wee bit depressing to be there, so I dashed back to Sydney (driving through the rain, hence the title of this entry) before my positive memories of the place were superceded by negative impressions filtered through my London lens. Pretty much anywhere in this country is going to seem boring and quiet after living in London, but Canberra is especially prone for obvious reasons (ie. it actually IS boring and quiet). I need to maintain a positive impression of Canberra because so many people important to me are from there or will be spending a significant part of their lives there which means it will always be somewhere I return to.
To visit, that is.
Not to live.
Ever again.

I hope.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Yes dear old Canberra. So very important to keep a positive opinion about the city :-D