Pages

Saturday 1 March 2008

JOCO IN LONDON!

Mr Code Monkey is coming to London! It's sooo cool. I know some of you have (unfortunately) been within earshot when I've decided to belt out one of Jonathan Coulton's songs whilst sitting in the pub or walking down the street, but now you'll have the chance to go along and hear someone who actually has talent perform them. For those of you who I haven't yet converted with my fervent speeches and cleverly sequenced selection of YouTube clips, you can find out who the hell I'm talking about by visiting http://www.jonathancoulton.com or searching his name in YouTube.

Basically he was a computer geek who decided to chuck in his programmer job and make music fulltime. He started off with a podcast called "Thing A Week" where he released a new song every week for a year. It's very cool stuff, more similar to Flight of the Conchords than the Foo Fighters, so I'm guessing we're unlikely to need covered shoes, earplugs and first aid supplies for moshpit injuries. Jonathan Coulton (JoCo) releases his songs under a Creative Commons license which means we common folk can use his music to make video clips or whatever as long as he's referenced. And now many, many geeky-type people (who unlike me are very likely to know the difference between a megabyte and a megapixel) have made video clips to his music using World of Warcraft, Sims 2 or just by making a knob of themselves on a webcam.

It seems it's not 100% confirmed as yet, but it's very likely he'll be flying over from the USA to play at Dingwalls in Camden on 20 March. Hooray! That's the night before Good Friday so I'll be harassing people individually to make sure they're still in town and keen to come along. I knew there was a reason I kept forgetting to book my bus down to Bournemouth for the Easter weekend :)

I've included below a clip of a girl playing Tom Cruise Crazy on a ukelele for your viewing and listening pleasure. I posted my favourite Code Monkey video on this blog last November so you should also click on that in the archives. I'm very excited, I already have four people who I'm going to drag along with me but I'm counting on the programmer buddy who first inducted me into the Cult of JoCo to boost up numbers further. Come along, you'll love it, hooray!




Ninja Edit: I just noticed I have the Code Monkey clip on the sidebar here as well under the Play With Me section. Give it a whirl, is geeky goodness :-)

No comments: