Pages

Wednesday 19 November 2008

DARK AND STORMY

So much for my escape into sunshine. A few days ago Brisbane was hit by the biggest storm in twenty years. I thought it was awesome. It broke about 3pm, the sky darkened, the rain started pounding down on the roof, and the thunder was the loudest I've ever heard. Lightning flashed, the noise of the rain was overwhelming and the thunder was ear-splitting. I love storms and was enjoying it thoroughly. Then there was a clap of thunder that made me physically jump and sent a twinge of fear tingling up my spine. At that point I knew that this was more than a wicked summer thunderstorm.

When I was living here in 1998, one day about this time of year saw me huddled in the office with workmates while a massive storm raged outside. Looking out the window I saw a roof flapping through the air and trees being whisked down the street. The storm on Sunday sounded at least as angry as that one, and even though I couldn't see any household pets flying around the sky where I was, I was sure there would be carnage elsewhere. And there was, check out this Youtube video below to get an idea of the ferocity of the storm.




Of course, everyone else in Brisbane was well aware that there was a big scary storm coming. I've just been a bit oblivious because of the family medical situation at the moment. I still can't talk about details, but it's traumatic to say the least. I've led an exceptionally lucky life. When something like this happens it puts all other concerns in perspective. I don't like talking about serious topics in this blog, as you may have noticed. It's just a bit difficult when my whole world is revolving around this person battling in a hospital bed at the moment. I'm flying to Sydney tomorrow, and it's going to be so hard to leave. Thanks to everyone who has sent messages of support, I'll keep you updated offline about how things are going.

1 comment:

Jack the 1st said...

Oh my god! That storm looks horrendous! Were you at the hossie or your mates?? Scary stuff.