Pages

Thursday 24 May 2007

EUROVISION

I invited some people around to my house to watch the Eurovision final the other week. I've never seen Eurovision before, but have heard tales of gloriously tacky costumes and fabulously crap performances. I figured it sounded like my kind of thing, and it definitely was. There were 24 European countries competing, only one or two I had never heard of, and it was accompanied by the commentary of an Irish guy called Terry Wogan. He basically pays out everyone and everything the whole way through, it's hilarious.

For those who care about such things, my favourites were the groups from the Ukraine and Greece. The saddest, most pathetic entries were definitely those from Ireland and England. Scootch were total rubbish. Somehow I knew all the words to their song, though. Must be some type of cultural osmosis.

It was a really good night. In what I can only assume is typical of Eurovision parties the world over, I was drunk by the end of the program and couldn't even remember who won when asked the next day. I'm thinking of doing the Eurovision 2007 Finalists tour of European countries. Anyone else want to come along?

No comments: