Pages

Thursday 3 May 2007

LIVING IT UP IN THE BIG CITY

I've had a very crazy couple of weeks over here. Disco Steve had two friends visiting on their way home from a year in south america, and lo and behold they turned out to be as amazing, fun and fantastic as all the other friends I've made since moving to London. So naturally we went out every night of the week to celebrate that fact.

I literally went out every night for about 8 days straight, getting home after 2am and dragging my tired and sorry self out of bed at 7am to go to work. Then on the weekend I went down to Bournemouth for a 60s/70s themed 30th birthday and had enough adventures there to warrant a separate blog entry. Hopefully I'll get around to writing that memory down before the brain cells storing it are wiped out by a huge binge-fest.

I suspected that I might be pushing myself a bit hard when I fell asleep through the first half of a play. It was The Hound of the Baskervilles, a comedy at the Duchess Theatre, and it was actually really funny. The reason I know it was funny, apart from a vague recollection of laughter floating through my tired brain as I napped, was that they started the second half of the play with a 5-minute condensed version of the first half. That was very cool, I laughed so much that I stayed awake.

I've slowed down a little since those heady days of two weeks ago - I think I had one night home last week, and I've already had one this week too (see Mum, I'm looking after myself!).

Interestingly, I've become intimately acquainted with the effects of sleep deprivation on my mood and I think I've actually reduced the amount of hours I need to sleep each night. So really, you could say that what I've been doing over here is of scientific value. I could write a thesis on how the effects of sleep deprivation and alcohol consumption are moderated by social interaction across various environments.

Or I could just go to the pub.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just go to the pub

Anonymous said...

Love that scientific research argument!