Pages

Tuesday 13 March 2007

A LONG TIME BETWEEN DRINKS

The subject above is metaphorical of course, referring to the passage of time since I last wrote an entry here. If you actually took it literally, you either (a) don't know me, or (b) are under the mistaken impression that travelling half way across the world and having no money would cause me to ration my alcoholic consumption. No, alcohol in England is just as much my friend as alcohol in Australia - although not quite as friendly as the alcohol in Vietnam. That probably doesn't make sense, and before you ask, no I'm not actually drunk right now.


What have I done since the last entry? More wandering around London and drinking in pubs. I've met some great new friends over here who enjoy walking around exploring new places, drinking relentlessly and hypothesising on the state of the universe as much as I do (some of whom felt aggrieved that they weren't mentioned in more detail in my earlier entry about the cultural pub tour). I've also been able to spend more time with some of my favourite friends from the Vina-years. It's so good to be on the same continent as them, although it does mean I'm a million miles away from the rest of you back in Australia . One Aussie friend just landed in Heathrow last Monday and is almost all settled in to the scene here. If anyone else wants to relocate, I can highly recommend it!

I'm well and truly settled, and for the past couple of days I've even been doing some casual work. I'm not going to say where (for fear of internet-stalking psychopaths) but I can give some hints I guess. Basically it's the London office of the place that I used to work for in Canberra. Didn't think I'd end up going back there, but it's easy work and I'll probably just stay there a couple of weeks. I still have my four recruitment agencies scouring the job market for opportunities for me, so hopefully something else will come up soon that I can take instead. Not that it isn't good working there - it's in a really beautiful building. Can't say any more though. Stalkers.

In the meanwhile, I'm having heaps of fun. Totally loving London. It's also been really warm here - sunny and 18 degrees yesterday. I hear rumours of an icy wind on Sunday, but that's ages away!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh!! Never expected you to find yourself there! What other vina babes are there? And yes, I am planning to see you sometime this year - make sure there's still some beer left for me!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful summation of your time here to-date. I love your "can do" attitude. You inspire me...to drink, party, relax, and most of all, to really enjoy London in all it's glory. Thanks for helping me settle in gorgeous girl!

Anonymous said...

I really should move.. there's nothing here anymore! I just gotta save, and i'm not doing too well at that at all.